Thursday, April 10, 2008

Pranking Paralytics: The Prank Within


Double Cee has been just running me lately, with an assist from everything else in my life. But that’s no excuse. ILBP is fun, and I’ll update more. Especially with some fun ones forthcoming.

One of the oldest [and most rural] high school pranks is to let 3 good-sized animals [pigs or cows, traditionally] into the school building, labeling them 1, 2, and 4. There you have the essence of what can make pranks ingenious: the stretching of resources to extend the prank.

It’s why, for the first time ever, I was actually a little disappointed in Double Cee’s execution in the glitter prank. In the five[!] hours I spent cleaning my room, I would expect to find glitter in certain places, and then would be crestfallen when there wasn’t any in, say, my retainer case, or my pillows. Admittedly, it was still quite the prank, and I probably had that reaction only because I’m a prank-weary veteran.

Sigh.

There’s a passage in the prank-based young adult book Matilda about how the antagonist principal Ms. Trunchbull gets away with her excessive abuse of students. Paraphrased: “the key is to go whole hog, to do something so ridiculous that no one would ever believe it if you told them.” While we’re not trying to destroy lives here, more than a few acquaintances are surprised when we mention the time, effort, and dead animals that have gone into this thing.

And once you know your rival -and establish some ground rules- push the pre-pranked envelope.

See the above post for an example of a low-material, low-expense prank within a prank.

1 comment:

Candice Leigh Carr said...

Aw, I just feel soooo bad!